When I was younger, I {naively} struggled to apply this command because I did not believe that I had any "enemies." I got along with everyone, I was friendly to everyone, I even was nice to my siblings - for the most part.
Then I became a mother. By age 1 and most definitely by age 2, I discovered my "enemy" was living within my own home. As two strong-willed, stubborn and emotionally wild females, we battled. She fought with me, attacked me (oh, the biting!), screamed at me (the tantrums!) and defied my authority.
She, at times, was "actively opposed and hostile" toward me. My enemy.
And then her little brother came along and now at age 2 displays far more violence and aggression - the hitting, the biting, the throwing, the kicking, the hair-pulling, the eyes of challenge staring me down.
I know, I know.
How could such adorable children be capable of enmity?
At times, it is reality. But most of the time they are darling. ;)
A few weeks ago, I was reading through Luke chapter 6 and found myself dwelling on these commands from verses 27-36:
Love your enemies
Love your enemies
Do good to those who hate you
Bless those who curse you
Pray for those who abuse you
If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other one also
If anyone takes from you, do not withhold even more
Do to others as you would have them do to you
I pondered over these words as I witnessed a country and world full of hate for the "other" and driven to violence out of fear. And then, as I continued to let these words soak into my heart, I was gently convicted and reminded -
Loving my enemies starts by loving those who, at times, "actively oppose" me or are "hostile" toward me physically, verbally, emotionally, in my own home - and then works its way out into the rest of the world.
When my son slaps me on the face, I can "turn the other cheek" by offering grace - a second chance, an opportunity for change.
When he purposefully throws a hard object at my head, I can withhold my wrath and respond with gentleness.
When my children communicate, "I hate you!," I can whisper back, "Oh, but I love you."
When my daughter back-talks with sass, I can put down my wounded pride and respond in kindness.
When my children bombard me with demand after demand and take advantage of my help, I can continue to give and serve generously.
When my children have deeply hurt me with words or actions, I can pray blessings over them.
When they are against me, I can be for them.
Why? Because of this - verse 36:
Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Because when I actively opposed the reign and rule of the Most High King in my life, when I was hostile toward His commands and chose to do things my own way,
Because when I actively opposed the reign and rule of the Most High King in my life, when I was hostile toward His commands and chose to do things my own way,
God extended mercy.
God smothered me in kindness.
God lavished grace.
God spoke with gentleness.
God demonstrated love to His enemy. Me.
"But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
"For if we, while God's enemies we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!" Romans 5:10
I am learning to love my childrenemies - by the grace of God, through the work of Christ and by the power of the Holy Spirit - to not only love them when they are easy to love, but also truly love them when they are being very, very difficult.
Lord, would you continue to move my heart toward Your love, that I may respond to those who are against me or oppose me or hurt me or attack me with Your grace, mercy, gentleness, kindness and generosity - starting with my children. And may Zoë and Isaiah see in me what it looks like to "love your enemy," that they would also model that kind of love to one another and grow into adults who can love the "other" - no matter who that may be. May they learn to respond with love to a world filled with hate. Thank you for loving me when I was {and when I am still} unlovable. May Your love overflow in my life to my family, my neighbors, my community, my world.
Poppen Family Update:
What do you do to survive a hot Texas summer??
(Our month of June in review)
June had a few special events:
As we wrap up the month of June, we are packing up for our great summer road trip! We are so excited to have some family bonding time in the van and with both sides of our families in the next three weeks!
Poppen Family Update:
What do you do to survive a hot Texas summer??
(Our month of June in review)
Breakfast picnic in the park
Indoor camping
Play in the puddles after a storm
Neighborhood kiddie pool party!
Have a dance party!
This girl has some moves! ;)
Snuggle with Daddy
Make Art!
Isaiah's abstract painting
Isaiah's abstract painting
Zoë's "salmon and smiling sun"
And make the beach come to you!
Zoë's first ballet and tap recital with Devotion in Motion!
It was precious, beautiful and delightful.
Miss Amanda is amazing!
Enjoy watching her dances from her dress rehearsal :)
TCU Swimming Lessons!
Zoë worked very hard to overcome her fear of having her face in the water and she made great progress this year! She is so excited to be able to swim on her own and now she is fearless! (Which makes Mommy a little more fearful...)
And VBS
We also celebrated "King Daddy" on Father's Day
We love Daddy!
















No comments:
Post a Comment