"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions...let no one pass judgement on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him." 14:1-2
"Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God." 15:7
"I commend to you our sister Phoebe...that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you..." 16:1-2
In context, these verses describe how we are to welcome or receive one another and interact with one another with the hospitality modeled to us by Jesus. What does that look like? Seeking to please others for their good and up-building (15:2), providing for their needs (16:2), living in harmony (15:5) and not in judgement or quarreling over different opinions (14:1,3). And we are to do so in a manner "worthy of the saints" (16:2) and in the same way that Christ has welcomed us - all for the glory of God (15:7).
During our great road trip, we witnessed this Christ-like welcome in action as we were welcomed and received by numerous family and friends into their lives and homes with warmth, generosity and grace...even though the timing or situation may have been inconvenient. My mother-in-law paid for our week-long stay in a cabin. Aunts and uncles covered our expenses so that we could be present. My brother, his wife and their little girl welcomed our little family into their home for an entire week, making space and time for us, and loving us amid the chaos of little children running, screaming, pooping, and sleeping (shhhhh!). My mom fit our family (including a pack-n-play) into her small music studio in the basement, and gave us her best even though we came immediately after the two most exhausting weeks of her year. My aunt and uncle invited us to stay with them even though it was their only free weekend of the summer. My cousin gladly received us for a night even though they were getting ready to move in a few weeks. My dad spent a day with us immediately after returning from a three-week trip in Europe. We were showered with love, delicious food (even if it was just to help them clean out the freezer), and gifts (like two cast iron skillets (!), a snare drum, and plenty of goodies and toys for the kids). :) We were thoroughly blessed!
Sometimes our hospitality is a little messy. We are not our best. It is not great timing. Our house is a disaster. We don't have the ingredients or energy to make a 5-star meal. We are uncomfortable. Sometimes it would be much easier to keep to ourselves and close our doors while we rest or deal with the chaos on our own. But we are called by God to be hospitable - to welcome people (both familiar and stranger) into our homes, into our conversations, into our activities, into our lives. We are called to open the door of our hearts and seek to serve one another.
God has been at work in my heart in this arena, freeing me up to offer "messy hospitality." In the past, I would only want to have people over if our house was perfectly clean and I had a restaurant-quality meal to serve. Which was rare. I was very cautious with strangers and guarded my time carefully. Over the past year, I have become more free and more willing to let other people into my life to see me at my worst, and not just my best, and to interact with strangers with warmth and generosity instead of fear. By God's grace, I am growing. We entertained a family over for dinner one night without ever sweeping the floor. It was awful - but they didn't notice (or care)...and we had a delightful time. I invited a new friend over to my small humble apartment even though I knew she lived in (what seems to me like) a mansion. I have become much more flexible in inviting adults and children into our home even when it may be unplanned or even inconvenient. I'm learning to ask the Spirit to show me the needs of others so I can step in and help, instead of being stuck focusing on my own busy life, and I have been amazed at the opportunities that have come out of those simple prayers. I'm learning that while my hospitality may be messy, if it is offered in love with an open heart, it is true hospitality.
During our great road trip, we witnessed this Christ-like welcome in action as we were welcomed and received by numerous family and friends into their lives and homes with warmth, generosity and grace...even though the timing or situation may have been inconvenient. My mother-in-law paid for our week-long stay in a cabin. Aunts and uncles covered our expenses so that we could be present. My brother, his wife and their little girl welcomed our little family into their home for an entire week, making space and time for us, and loving us amid the chaos of little children running, screaming, pooping, and sleeping (shhhhh!). My mom fit our family (including a pack-n-play) into her small music studio in the basement, and gave us her best even though we came immediately after the two most exhausting weeks of her year. My aunt and uncle invited us to stay with them even though it was their only free weekend of the summer. My cousin gladly received us for a night even though they were getting ready to move in a few weeks. My dad spent a day with us immediately after returning from a three-week trip in Europe. We were showered with love, delicious food (even if it was just to help them clean out the freezer), and gifts (like two cast iron skillets (!), a snare drum, and plenty of goodies and toys for the kids). :) We were thoroughly blessed!
Sometimes our hospitality is a little messy. We are not our best. It is not great timing. Our house is a disaster. We don't have the ingredients or energy to make a 5-star meal. We are uncomfortable. Sometimes it would be much easier to keep to ourselves and close our doors while we rest or deal with the chaos on our own. But we are called by God to be hospitable - to welcome people (both familiar and stranger) into our homes, into our conversations, into our activities, into our lives. We are called to open the door of our hearts and seek to serve one another.
God has been at work in my heart in this arena, freeing me up to offer "messy hospitality." In the past, I would only want to have people over if our house was perfectly clean and I had a restaurant-quality meal to serve. Which was rare. I was very cautious with strangers and guarded my time carefully. Over the past year, I have become more free and more willing to let other people into my life to see me at my worst, and not just my best, and to interact with strangers with warmth and generosity instead of fear. By God's grace, I am growing. We entertained a family over for dinner one night without ever sweeping the floor. It was awful - but they didn't notice (or care)...and we had a delightful time. I invited a new friend over to my small humble apartment even though I knew she lived in (what seems to me like) a mansion. I have become much more flexible in inviting adults and children into our home even when it may be unplanned or even inconvenient. I'm learning to ask the Spirit to show me the needs of others so I can step in and help, instead of being stuck focusing on my own busy life, and I have been amazed at the opportunities that have come out of those simple prayers. I'm learning that while my hospitality may be messy, if it is offered in love with an open heart, it is true hospitality.
Holy Spirit, continue to change my heart to be more hospitable to you, and in being shaped like Christ, to learn to truly be hospitable to my family, neighbors, community and church, to welcome as Christ has welcomed me - mess and all.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
We had an amazing time on our great road trip this past month! Over 5,000 miles across 7 states through mountains, to the coast and through all the plains in between. 3 1/2 weeks away from home, 8 days (total) driving with 2 children. Over 50 relatives and friends whom we stayed with, ate with, played with. It was the adventure of adventures! And now, we are thankful to be home-sweet-home.
Here are a just a few of our favorite shots from the trip. But first: the little-walking-almost-running drummer boy! He had barely taken his first steps before we left - and look at him now!
Part 1: Colorado
Part 2: Oregon



















No comments:
Post a Comment