Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Day I Said "Yes" to a Cartwheel

Today I said "Yes."

I have this spinal/low-back/hip issue that dictates much of what I do and don't do.
To avoid pain, this often means saying "No" to my children.
"No, you may not hang around my neck."
"No, you cannot ride on my back."
"No, I cannot swing you around."
"No, I cannot carry you."
"No, I cannot sit with you on the couch."
"No, I can't play right now - I need to do my therapy exercises."
Because if I'm not in pain, I'm a better Mommy - right?

Well, today I threw off my normal restraints and said "Yes" to a cartwheel.
It was a surprisingly beautiful cartwheel, but not nearly as beautiful as the wide-eyes and gleeful smile of my daughter who currently thinks that cartwheels are the coolest thing in the world.
Which made me the coolest person in the world (at least for that moment).

So, I did a few more cartwheels and a handstand and a round-off and all sorts of things I have not done in years while my almost-5-year-old gymnast and I giggled and tumbled around in the grass.

And it was worth it. Every bit of discomfort for every precious moment.

Here's to many more times saying "Yes" and trading in the pain or discomfort or inconvenience that will come and go for a memory that will last a lifetime.


Here's a little video that Zoë and I made together to show off some of her tumbling technique. ;) 
She has been working VERY hard and loves to practice her skills! She has just recently started to master the cartwheel.

(Zac had no part in the editing of this video. He need not be embarrassed. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment